Job Title – Data Fellow
Business/Department – Dalberg Data Insights
Job Category – Data Scientist
Location – Kampala, UG (multi-location) Nairobi, KE
Closing Date – 20 Apr 2022
BUILD DATA SOLUTIONS TO SOLVE THE WORLD’S TOUGHEST CHALLENGES.
Dalberg Data Insights is now looking for young graduates in Data Science to join the second cohort of our Data Fellowship Program.
ABOUT DALBERG DATA INSIGHTS
At Dalberg Data Insights, we identify the data solutions to international development challenges. We access, analyze, and integrate data from different sources to design data products. Using our products and solutions, local and global communities can better target, implement, and evaluate their programs and initiatives.
For example, we have built data solutions that monitor crop yield for sorghum and maize in northern Uganda based on satellite images. The data products we created based on mobility insights from aggregated and anonymized telecom data, have helped track the spread of COVID19 in Belgium, Ebola in West Africa and Zika and Chikungunya in Brazil. We have used labour market data we capture and interpret to design and pilot a Labour Market Information System in Ethiopia.
Dalberg Data Insights is the Big Data entity of Dalberg Group. We are a global group working to build a more inclusive and sustainable world where all people, everywhere, can reach their fullest potential. Comprised of Dalberg Advisors, Dalberg Data Insights, Dalberg Design, Dalberg Implement, Dalberg Media and Dalberg Research; our businesses approach problems differently and work together to create impact at scale.
Established in 2001 by experienced private sector consultants, Dalberg operates from 29 worldwide locations. For more information, please visit Dalberg.
ABOUT THE DATA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
Dalberg Data Insights is looking for 3 Data Fellows who can join the team in July 2022. As a Data Fellow, you will become an active member of a team that is working on an ongoing project and learn first-hand what it takes to build impactful data solutions. You will rotate between different Data Science and Project Management roles, thereby receiving a unique overview of how different functions operate within a successful project. The Data Fellowship program will help you to discover your strengths and use them to grow into the job that fits you best. As entrepreneurship and creativity is highly valued at DDI, we also encourage Data Fellows to drive their own initiatives related to data for development. The fellowship program is 6 months long and full-time employment will be offered to the top performers.
You want to be building data tools and inclusive data ecosystems to help the public and development actors take better decisions. You are aspiring to tackle global issues, from spread of pandemics to climate change to youth unemployment, ensuring no population is left behind. You are a problem solver and a committed self-starter. You go the extra mile to excel professionally. You are curious and a fast learner. You are disciplined and attentive to data systems. You are passionate about the design of algorithms to solve pressing problems using (big) data and pride yourself on being up to date with the latest trends in the data engineering field. You are comfortable picking up any programming language or software and can learn quickly. You are curious about using new software engineering approaches to make customer-oriented solutions better, more stable and scalable. You are self-driven, agile and able to work independently and on multiple engagements simultaneously. You do not shy away from working in multicultural and multi-location teams. You value diversity.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a master’s degree in Data Science, Engineering or similar
- 0-2 years of experience working with digital solutions that may involve big data
- Experience solving analytical problems using quantitative or systematic approaches
- Curious, resourceful, confident under pressure, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment
- Self-driven, agile and able to work independently and on multiple engagements simultaneously
- Build algorithms and design experiments to merge, manage, massive pipes of data
- Automating analyses and authoring data pipelines
- Helping to design and implement complex data systems
- Design, build and scale server-side applications
- Design and build front-end applications
- Communicate your ideas and rationale to the Project Manager or client and see concepts through to the final design deliverable.
- Ability to design and build complex applications on back or front-end
- Deep statistical knowledge is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Note: Employment in all the Dalberg offices is conditional on the candidate having or independently obtaining the requisite authorization to live and work in that country.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Our current opportunities are in Kampala, and Nairobi.
Please submit your application at our Career Centre, by 11:59 PM EST on 20 April 2022.
Your application should include a resume and a brief motivation letter.