NRC Uganda is looking for a Communications Coordinator to lead the development and implementation of NRC Uganda’s Communications Strategy with reference to key advocacy priorities, to be delivered in close coordination with programs teams.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The Coordinator will plan, coordinate and develop high quality communications products for traditional media, social media, and programs communications in English and possibly local languages. The Communications Coordinator will further facilitate high levels of engagement and ownership from program teams, and build skills within the team to develop quality communications products in line with NRC guidelines and compliance with donor requirements. They will be responsible for liaising with national and international media.
- Support the development and implementation of NRC Uganda’s Communications Strategy, based on the Country Advocacy Strategy, and in line with NRC’s Global Communications Strategy.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Uganda and other NRC offices to develop and monitor a communications action plan that reflects use of a variety of different communications vehicles (photos, case studies, online platforms, infographics, videos etc).
- Undertake regular travel to NRC program locations to gather content relating to NRC programs, and support program staff with communications-related activities.
- Support all programs teams with the development of visibility materials, ensuring these are developed in compliance with NRC and donor guidelines.
- Craft creative products that portray the humanitarian situation and needs in a manner that is dignified and focuses on the capacity of people in Uganda for individual agency, in line with NRC guidelines.
- Work closely with media and communications colleagues at the regional and global levels to develop, coordinate and polish communications materials.
- Liaise with NRC’s grants and programs teams to ensure NRC is meeting its commitments to donors and communicating appropriately with communities.
- Participate in coordination mechanisms and forums as appropriate.
- Liaise professionally and efficiently with national and international journalists.
- Oversee NRC Uganda’s social media outputs and manage feedback and complaints in coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator.
- Develop communications-related tools, templates or SOPs as required.
- Any other communications-related task as required or directed.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly
- Develop a monthly action plan detailing outputs and support required
- Visit NRC field sites to collect communications materials for internal and external use
- Upload quality photos, video, social media content and other materials on a weekly basis for use in traditional and social media
- Respond to inquiries from national and international journalists and help facilitate interviews
- Provide training and on-the job support to colleagues in field sites to develop their
communications, including taking quality photos and developing case studies
- Work efficiently with programs teams to develop visibility materials and other communications products that comply with NRC and donor guidelines
- Develop infographics or other visual materials as required
- Engage actively with NRC regional and global communications teams to generate ideas, polish materials and ensure NRC Uganda’s communications are appropriate targeted
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and planning: Advocacy Manager; Regional Communications team
- Content development: Area Manager, Program Coordinators, Grants team
- Capacity Building: Field Teams
- International Communications products: CC Specialists and Program Coordinators
- Safety and movement: Security Coordinators and Logistics
- Feedback and complaints: Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
- At least five years of INGO or equivalent experience working in media and communications
- University degree in journalism or communication or equivalent relevant education
- Thorough knowledge and experience drafting material for media
- Thorough knowledge and experience managing social media accounts
- Thorough knowledge and experience with photography and videography, including video editing
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods
- High level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Skills in relevant programs for media such as photoshop, editing programs etc.