Job Title – DATA&ICT LEAD Cost Centre
Location – Kampala, Uganda
No. of Direct Reports – 4-12
Reporting to Director, Technical Services Budget Responsibilities (Y/N)
Reporting to the Director Technical Services, the purpose of this role is to provide data management and ICT systems support to Marie stopes Uganda Country Program.
S/he will ensure a robust and adequate data system to enhance the collection, management and analysis of program data. S/he will lead the implementation of MSI global Management Information system tools. S/he will support all the technical staff in the management information system department and will manage any data related activities in the program. The incumbent will lead the Information Technology (IT) team to proactively support the full range of IT needs of Marie Stopes. S/He will empower the team to solve technical challenges in a multi-server environment using a variety of software systems and applications. S/he will ensure full compliance with MS IT Policies and donor regulations. A key deliverable will be to ensure that all information systems for programmatic activities are streamlined integrated, and cost efficiencies are realized across systems.
Key Data Management Responsibilities.
• Coordinate data management activities including quality, completeness, safety, storage and recovery
• Provide high quality data summaries to the teams for evidence-based planning and decision making
• Set up and test the databases and conduct data validation checks
• Participate in the development of project related data collection instruments.
• Coordinate with various departments and perform integration of critical systems.
• Ensure data integrity, confidentiality and availability through enforcing the efficient application and use of the existing security measures like data backups, recovery and business continuity tests.
• Design and develop advanced database querying solutions including SQL stored procedures and triggers
• Direct daily operations of a department, analysing workflows, establishing priorities, developing standard operating procedures and setting deadlines for the teams.
• Coordinate in consultation with users, management, vendors, and technicians to ensure effective system solution delivery.
• Train manage and support data teams in providing data management support to stake holders.
• Direct operations of the ICT department, analysing workflows, establishing priorities and developing standards.
• Oversee the coordination in consultation with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess technology needs, contractual and system requirements.
• Manage the supervision of multiple systems to work in unison, either internally or throughout a prescribed network of external platforms.
• Evaluate the organizations technology use and needs to recommend improvements, such as hardware and software upgrades.
• Take final and overall responsibility for the security/confidentiality of all IT infrastructure, information and data, including rigorous back-up processes and information governance training.
• Introduce/initiate, and maintain Information Systems, Technology policies, procedures and best practice.
• Develop budgets to accommodate the technological communication needs of various departments and service areas.
• Oversee and advise on ICT procurements, including maintaining IT market knowledge, and supporting competitive bidding processes to ensure delivery of cost-effective solutions.
• Coordinate Web and online content management.
• Train manage and support ICT team in providing IT support and maintenance services to MSUG.
• Provide periodic IT infrastructure status reports to Senior Management and the Audit team.
Knowledge and Experience
• Demonstrated experience in managing large scale GIS networks MIS database systems in a busy environment
• Knowledge of demand side financing and health insurance systems in Uganda strongly preferred
• Knowledge and Skills in advanced database querying solutions including SQL stored procedures and triggers
• Experience in virtual private networks highly desirable
• Working knowledge of various statistical programmes (e.g., Epi lnfo, SPSS,)
• Good working knowledge of MS office applications (e.g. excel, access, word and power point)
• Good data analytical and presentation skills
• Excellent communicator with ability to manage a diverse team
• Demonstrated experience in managing IT for a busy non-profit of private sector company of similar scale
• Proven ability to develop and implement robust IT policies and systems
• Systems design experience desirable
• Experience with cloud systems highly desirable
• Experience in change management
• Experience in electronic database development and management
• Strong knowledge of Ugandan telecommunications environment and capacity
• Ability to communicate effectively to non-technical teams about MIS and database systems
• Experience in performance metric dashboard development
• Demonstrated ability in costed work plan development
Qualifications and Training (essential/ desirable)
• University Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science, Master’s degree in Information technology is desirable
• Additional technical qualification or Master’s degree is highly desirable
• Proven skills in GIS programming necessary
• In-depth knowledge of software, hardware and LAN (local area network) integration is necessary
• 3+ years’ experience in the implementation, administration and management of several data management tools including databases and spreadsheets
• Good knowledge and skills of working Microsoft SQL Server 2008 &MySQL databases
• Professional Qualification in MSCSQLP or MSDBA is an added advantage
• Proven skills in virtual private networks highly desirable
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. We encourage and expect all team members will demonstrate the following behaviours:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
• Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
• Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
• Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
• Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
• Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
• Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
MSI Behaviours and Values
Work as One MSI
• You contribute, use, and share accurate data and evidence to improve understanding, insight and decision-making across MSI, enabling us to maximise our ability to influence others.
• You share relevant knowledge, expertise and resources to strengthen teamwork and prevent duplication of effort.
• You actively work as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures.
Show courage, authenticity and integrity
• You hold yourself accountable for the decisions you make and the behaviours you demonstrate.
• You are courageous in challenging others and taking appropriate managed risks.
Develop and grow
• You seek feedback to enable greater self-awareness and provide the same to others in a way which inspires them to be even more effective.
• You manage your career development including keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.
Deliver excellence, always
• You strive to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting clients at the centre of everything, and implement smarter, more efficient ways of performing your role.
• You build and maintain effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and are a true MSI ambassador.
Leadership (For Leaders only)
• You inspire individuals and teams, through situational leadership, providing clear direction.
• You seek and provide opportunities which motivate team members, helping to develop skills and potential whilst strengthening our talent and succession pipeline.
• You are aware of emerging developments in our sector, demonstrating strategic insight about our clients and business and encourage this in your team.
• You articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others.
• Mission driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice not chance.
• Client centred: We are passionate about our clients and dedicate our efforts to delivering agreed objectives to the highest possible quality.
• Accountable: We are accountable for our actions and take responsibility for everything we do to ensure long term sustainability and increased impact.
• Courageous: We recruit and nurture talented, passionate and brave people who have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.