Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Associate
Organisation: Self Help Africa Uganda
Location: Adjumani, Uganda
Reports to: Agribusiness Project Manager
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to taking a business-like approach to reducing poverty in sub-Saharan Africa. Headquartered in Ireland, with offices in the UK, the US and seven African countries, SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa. Our approach is collaborative and market-based: although we see our primary clients as smallholder farmers in Africa, we work with all participants in agricultural value chains. With over 250 staff worldwide, and a global turnover of over €20m, SHA currently runs programmes on behalf of a range of organisations including the European Union, Irish Aid, the World Food Programme, Danida and the UK Department for International Development. SHA has an ambitious growth strategy to increase its global footprint and expand into new areas.
Self Help Africa has a long established and growing office in Uganda, with approximately 40 full-time staff running development and humanitarian projects that encompass enterprise development and climate resilience programming with smallholder farmers. The Uganda programme has a strong focus on supporting market access and enterprise development among refugee and host populations, natural resource management & green economy approaches and climate change adaptation across the country.
The MEAL Associate will support the effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning of the WFP-Agriculture and Market support project in Kiryandongo and Adjumani Districts. Under the supervision of the MEL Advisor and Agribusiness Project Manager, s/he will be responsible for process monitoring, data collection, analysis, management, learning activities and use of monitoring outputs to improve project programming. S/he will be working closely with project teams to assess field conditions, support capacity building initiatives for improved programming.
R1: Program Management Support/System Development.
- Lead on implementation of all M&E initiatives for AMS project including process monitoring, data quality and tracking activity progress.
- Support the MEL Advisor and Agribusiness Project Manager in development and implementation of the MEAL plan.
- Assist MEL Advisor and Project staff in developing strategies to increase data use and demand.
- Ensuring timely drafting of result oriented result project plans and scopes of work and their approval for efficient project implementation
- With guidance from the MEL Advisor draft and revise tools and as well as data collection procedures.
- Draft standard operation procedures in relations to project activities.
- Organise (and provide) refresher training in M&E skills
- Support documentation and review of case studies and best practices.
- Support project planning, review and reporting procedures
R2: Data Collection, Management and Analysis.
- Facilitate data collection, entry, basis analysis and the flow of data with the project teams.
- Perform regulated field visits to ensure that quality of data are collected by the project team and verify the accuracy of reported data.
- Support the Agribusiness Project Manager and MEL Advisor to ensure that donor and senior management data queries are addressed.
- Support and participate in market diagnostic, baseline, mid-term and end line survey.
- Design models of data input, using appropriate software especially Excel among others as and will be specified.
- Ensure filing and electronic archiving of project reports and other documents produced within the framework of project implementation
R3: Communication and reporting
- Support MEL Advisor and Agribusiness Project Manager in reviewing internal and donor reports.
- Support the PC in development activities progress trackers.
- Guide the regular sharing of the outputs of M&E findings with project staff, and primary stakeholders
- Perform other related duties as required
R4: Learning and Innovation
- Facilitate learning, promote peer-learning between staff and partners, participate in relevant national networks and actively engage in organization level focal groups.
- Explore opportunities for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up,
- Represent in the organization in coordination meetings.
- Agribusiness Project Manager, Project Officers, technical Coordinators & other project staff
- Self Help Africa Uganda Country Programme Staff and administrative staff
External Farmer groups, youth and women groups, government departments, private enterprises, donors, Civil society organisations
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in statistics, data management, project planning and management, social works and social administration, or equivalent.
- Good knowledge of the main data management and analysis software, especially perfect command of Excel and email;
- Have 3-5 year- experience related to Project M&E, planning and implementation of M&E systems, M&E methods and approaches data analysis, and knowledge of statistical data
- Ability to manipulate large data sets, and excellent attention to details.
- Ability to effectively use standard MS Office software, especially experience with Excel, MS Access and database.
- Experience in working with mobile phone enabled data collection platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in filing and archiving of data;
- Must be good in English with good writing skills. A working knowledge of one or more of the native languages in Kiryandongo and Adjumani Districts would be an advantage;
- Should be very organized, and have ability to produce finest of work; be able to work under pressure and beyond working hours;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships;
- Understanding of key aspects of SHA development work; including food, nutrition and livelihood security and cross-cutting themes (e.g. youth, social inclusion, environment, HIV and AIDS);
- Skills in training and facilitation of community processes, including organization and mobilization of communities and networking among different development partners such as youth groups, community-based organisations, government officers and SHA staff;
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and presentation skills management and organizational skills.
- Commitment to international and humanitarian NGO codes, standards and practises;
- High level of integrity and high standards of personal conduct;
- Experience working in project geographical region
- Experience working with farmer groups and private sector actors.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work as part of team across different cultures.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and take initiative
- Ability to solve problems and take corrective action.
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Please download the Application Form and fill it in. Qualified candidates should upload a completed application form, motivational letter and CV to the SHA Online Recruitment Portal (click the green hyperlink). If you experience issues with the Recruitment Portal, please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Thursday 21st April 2022 at 5pm
Please note that Self Help Africa Uganda advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer
The post Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Associate appeared first on O4UG.