The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will work with the Head of Department (Training and Capacity Development) to provide leadership and daily oversight for internal monitoring and evaluation of training activities and design and implementation of evaluation of educational/training interventions.
Role & Responsibilities
Internal monitoring and evaluation of training activities
- In collaboration with other technical officers, take lead and guide development and monitoring of departmental annual and quarterly work plans.
- Ensure availability of updated needs assessment; monitoring and evaluation tools for both classroom and onsite training activities.
- Manage and maintain a quality assurance and control system to ensure accuracy, integrity and validity of training departmental data
- Ensure timely electronic filing and storage of training data; including proper day to day management of the Management Information System for Training (MIST)
- Produce monthly and quarterly progress reports of implementation of core training and project activities.
Reporting and Compliance
- Maintain an updated departmental report monitor for both training core departmental and project activities
- Coordinate with technical officers and program M&E officers within the department to ensure that timely preparation of reports according to expected guidelines
- Review all programme reports for quality and consistency with grant sub agreements
- Produce departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and progress reports on quarterly basis as well as other periodic and adhoc departmental reports
- Establish tool for tracking reporting requirements for various core and training project activities
Training/Education Research design, analysis and reporting
- Lead the development and delivery of system strengthening courses (classroom and online) to meet targets in the new IDI training business plan.
- Support the design of training/education research interventions; including proposal development support
- Lead and coordinate development/adaptation of data collections tools and data management systems of training/education intervention projects
- Lead and support analysis of data from training/education intervention projects
- Contribute to writing of reports and publications from training/education intervention projects.
- Maintain database of training research projects conducted to date
Building capacity for data management; monitoring and evaluation
- Lead and coordinate all trainings for data management; and monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS and related infectious diseases programs for both internal and external trainees
- Maintain and update database of resource persons for supporting data management; and Monitoring and evaluation trainings.
- Ensure quality implementation of data management; and monitoring and evaluation training including review and continuous updating of course to meet needs of trainees
- Maintain updated training curricula for data management; monitoring and evaluation
- The ability to work both independently and in a team setting is critical, as is the ability to present ideas clearly both orally and in writing.
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Prior experience working with health sector especially in the area of Global Health security (GHS), HIV/AIDS and or other infectious diseases
- Familiarity with existing Ministry of Health Management Information Systems
- Successful track record in designing, implementing, and managing program evaluations such as Training Needs Assessments;
- Flexibility and ability to consistently meet deadlines (i.e. reporting deadlines, proposal deadlines)
- Familiarity with software such as SPSS; STATA; ORACLE and My SQL
- Advanced training in Geospatial information Systems (Arc/Q-GIS)
- Excellent training, communication (writing and oral), and interpersonal skills
- A degree in statistics or epidemiology and Biostatistics from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge of Bigdata and Bio informatics would be an added advantage.
- A Post-graduate diploma /qualification in Monitoring and Evaluation or management information systems
- Broad and appropriate experience or training in educational evaluation, measurement, statistics, quantitative and/or qualitative research; report writing; writing for publication; with at least 1 to 2 years conducting research and evaluations is required.