Position : Uganda nationals only
Starting date : May 2022
Duty station : West Nile
Reports to : Programme Manager West Nile
ZOA, is as an international NGO and supports people who have lost everything due to conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remains faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in several countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
About the program
We are Able! works in six African States (Burundi, DR Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and Ethiopia) as well as in the Netherlands and has as main objective ‘Co-creating inclusive governance for access to basic resources that leaves no-one behind’. In Uganda, the program is implemented in West Nile and Acholi regions.
We are able! wants to see People with Disabilities (PWDs) improving their right to land and food security by creating an enabling environment for action at grassroots level.
In Uganda the We are able! Consortium consists of (I)NGOs, namely ZOA as lead, NUDIPU and Light for the World (LftW). In addition, The Hague Academy (THA) and Vereniging Nederlandse Gemeenten Internationaal (VNGi) have been subcontracted under this grant.
We are able! is being financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the Power of Voices subsidiary framework and runs from January 1st 2021 until December 31st 2025
About the position
The Hub Manager has a dual role: to support the coordination of the We are Able! Consortium at regional hub level, and to oversee the delivery of the ZOA activities under the project. The Hub Manager will be based in West Nile region.
Leadership and management
- Carry out day to day coordination of activities between project partners, operating in the districts which are under that hub, e.g. through weekly meetings, planning, and discussions on approaches and key milestones. Over the life of the project key coordination and management tasks will be handed over to local partners, according to an agreed schedule;
- Focal point for organizing joint inception meetings / dissemination meetings at sub county or parish level, as agreed with other partners (another partner may lead for example where there are strong existing local relationships);
- Regular meetings and updates with the Programme Manager, Consortium Coordinator and counterpart Hub Manager (in the other region) to ensure coherence of activities and coordination approaches;
- Identifying opportunities to further extend the activities and role of the consortium at regional level according to plans, in collaboration with project partners and ZOA Programme Manager.
- Focal point to organise joint monitoring / visits, e.g. baseline, point of contact for M&E Coordinator (coordination unit), unless this is delegated to another hub member for a particular activity, e.g. for the lead member under that pathway;
- Line manage and support the regional ZOA Project Officers in their activity planning, deliverables and objectives, and ensure good communication with them for day to day duties;
- Monitor the implementation of the ZOA programme within the region according to the proposal submitted and adjust and align where necessary in cooperation with the Country Programme Steering Committee and Consortium Coordinator (HQ);
- Reporting of the ZOA activities as per the schedule and coordinating reporting of the hub related activities, if necessary.
- Oversees regional budget for ZOA implementation/budget holder and sign off according to ZOA Management Charter;
- Organising shared logistics from regional hub, e.g. shared transport, office space, ensuring that records are kept and correct charging structures are in place between partner organisations;
- Ensures that ZOA project staff are familiar with their job description, ZOA’s internal regulations, standards, policies and donor regulations and get acquainted with their colleagues in the programme team.
Knowledge & Experience:
- University degree in the field of international development or in a similar field;
- At least 5 years’ experience in the International Development Sector, in project management positions;
- Good understanding of the Uganda context; experience in West region is a plus;
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following fields: Food security, land rights, inclusion and gender, lobby & advocacy, MEAL;
- Experience in localization approaches and working with local organisations;
- A good command of English, including written reporting and activity reporting;
- Experience in working in a consortium with multiple project partners is a plus;
- Experience with sign language is a plus;
- Experience of working with People with Disabilities is a plus.
Skills & Attitude:
- High level of networking capacities, with interpersonal, organizational and intercultural sensitivity;
- Advocacy skills;
- Commitment to inclusion for People with Disabilities;
- Able to plan and coordinate and work in an organized manner;
- Able to bridge differences and bring people together from different backgrounds;
- High level of integrity;
- Motivated to work independently / self-managing;
- Aims to integrate and reflect Christian values in relief and rehabilitation work;
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity/).
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during reporting times.
The role is offered in scale M1 in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale 2022 (starting salary is UGX 3,000,000 gross).
How to Apply
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the following link: Hub Manager (West Nile) We are Able | CVSelection
CV’s of no more than 2 pages in length and a Cover Letter of 1 page are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered. Internal candidates will have priority, in case of similar results.
Deadline: 24 April 2022