Overview: International Justice Mission (IJM) is looking for a responsible, focused, quick decision maker and team player to provide technical and operational support to enhance staff safety and security, assets and ensure IJM programs are implemented safely. The Coordinator, Security will use their technical skills to provide dedicated safety and security expertise and support to the Fort Office programs in the best interest of IJM’s global security standards, leadership, and individual staff members. He/ She shall lead in the optimization of organizational security and the mitigation of operational risks for program effectiveness by establishing security systems and mechanisms for institutionalizing an organizational culture and practice of risk management and safety. The role will include preparation and management of Security incidents and reports. The Coordinator Security will report to the Senior Manager, Security, Uganda Field Office while also working closely with the Senior Manager, Fort Portal office.
Key Result Areas:
- Conduct office and staff residence safety and security assessments and advise staff and leadership on vulnerabilities and exposures
- Ensure that all the necessary security strategies, policies and processes developed are well implemented.
- Evaluate current political, social and climatic conditions for possible threats to the safety and security of Field Office staff
- Ensure timely and concise communication of security briefs and debriefs, advise and reports of all safety and security related incidents to the Senior Manager, Security and the Senior Manager, Fort Portal.
- Ensure that a centralized security information system and all related documents are maintained
- Prepare security weekly report and assist security dispatcher in staff tracking as a duty officer
Roles and Responsibilities:
Staff and office Safety and Security
- Provide protection and security advice to IJM staff. Tasks include overseeing safety and security of staff members, taking lead during security operations, risk management, financial stewardship and contributing to initiatives and processes;
- Take lead on security operations by preparing security plans and conducting pre-deployment briefs/debriefs to staff members;
- Provide advice to field office staff and leadership on security operational requirements
- Ensure that mitigating measures are in place at all time to deter or deny identified threat and to preserve the security, safety and well-being of IJM Fort Portal staff;
- Conduct office and staff residence safety and security assessments and advise staff and leadership on recommendations for the safety, security and protection of staff and IJM assets;
- Provide on-the-ground leadership in response to incidents while in the field and provide input to office and country leadership on crisis management.
Security Strategy development & Implementation
- Participate in the development of security strategies, initiatives and processes that enhances networking with other security actors;
- Support the Senior Manager, Security to review, revise and implement comprehensive security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Field Offices, including evacuation and contingency planning;
- Collaborate with field office and regional leadership to ensure the success of the Field Office security strategies.
Security Policies and Procedures
- Participate in the development, review and implementation of all security related policies, standards and procedures, both internally and externally;
- Conduct regular and ongoing reviews and inspections of current security procedures, policies and systems;
- Support IJM Uganda in implementation of the Field Security protocols.
- Provide timely concise and clearly security briefs/debriefs, reports and staff advise.
- Evaluate current political, social and climatic conditions for possible threats to the safety and security of Field Office staff;
- Generate activity reports on Security, including database analysis, new threats, responses and vulnerabilities plus after-action reports including relevant lessons learnt from security and safety incidents;
- Provide early warning updates and mitigation expertise to the country office;
- Generate timely security incidents reports on minor and major occurrence affecting the office
Training and Development:
- Participate in Identifying, recommending, and planning for security trainings for IJM staff and partners.
a. Support the Senior Manager, Security in undertaking security orientation and training to staff;
b. Advice and train field office staff on security and safety awareness, operational and travel protocols;
c. Ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into IJM briefing plans for cases and movements;
d. Support the Senior Manager, Security in maintaining office physical security and mitigating risks and threats to IJM programs
- Conduct security assessment, advise and support to casework teams on all IJM cases.
a. Conduct risk assessments, pre deployment assessment, and develop risk mitigation treatment plans and strategies for the office
b. Primary ensure security of IJM staff in the Field and implementation of all security protocols and procedures;
c. Participate in Case deliberations Panels and provide advice and security risk assessments for all cases.
d. Prepare, conduct and attend Security briefings on casework related activities.
- Represent IJM at INGO Security network meetings in the area and ensure information from these groups is disseminated to relevant staff.
- Build, maintain and manage security networks of operative and informants from private security providers relevant to the organization needs as well as for sharing security information and coordination.
Security Operations Management
- Support the other security staff and the drivers in co-ordination of transport calendar and operational deployment of vehicles.
- Develop, implement and review risk mitigation strategies and operational security plans for field work in collaboration with other IJM teams.
- Conduct regular monthly checks to ensure emergency equipment such as CCTV, generators, intruder detection systems, door biometrics and fire extinguishers are in working order at the office.
- In case of emergency, provide a leading and guiding role on the critical steps needed, and then coordinate with the Senior Manager, Security, Senior Manager, Fort Portal and the Country Director for the next action.
- Managing critical incidents (Crisis & Incident management (includes reporting).
- Ensure all emergency contact numbers for staff are current and that a phone tree is in place in the office.
- Site protection and access control (target hardening inc. static or mobile guard force).
- Maintain staff tracking systems and ensure that all vehicles are maintained to an operational standard.
- Act as the ‘Point of Contact’ (POC) for all safety and security related incidents, providing immediate support and coordination during and post incident.
- Participate in IJM programs of professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
- Any other duty assigned by the Senior Manager, Security and Fort Portal Office Senior Manager.
The position holder will report to the Senior Manager, Security and will work with the other security staff and drivers.
Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience in conducting protective service/ security operations for a military service or law enforcement agency
· Ability to design, successfully implement and review tactical security operations in the field.
· Expertise in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability in Uganda.
· Experience in crisis management preferred.
· Experience in conducting route analysis.
· Experience in security guard/contractor supervision preferred.
· Experience in VIP and/or witness protection preferred.
· Experience conducting investigations
· Experience working in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural environment.
· Formal protective service operation training preferred.
- Proven ability to design, implement and review tactical security operations in the field.
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Ability to assess and analyze security situations.
- Accomplished writing skills.
- Have held a Uganda or international driving license for at least two years.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- Professional demeanor, Diplomatic and flexible.
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities.
- Effective team player and decisive leader.
- Exceptionally high levels of honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
How to Apply
Application deadline: 15th April 2022
Interested applicants who meet the minimum criteria should send their application/ Cover letter, statement of faith *and CV (as one PDF document) to ***email@example.com** .
IJM does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
IJM is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.