PROGRAM / DEPARTMENT SUMMARY
The People and Culture department manages all Mercy Corps People functions, including compensation and benefits, training and development, employee relations and wellness, recruitment, selection and orientation, talent management, People and Culture dept. risk and audit and a custodian of the agency culture, ensuring the agency aligns with, reflects and maintains our agency culture.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The People & Culture Officer is a position that will report directly to the People & Culture Manager. The People & Culture Officer will work closely with Mercy Corps’ operations, finance teams, as well as program staffs to provide essential support to the People & Culture Function. The People & Culture Officer will be responsible for executing daily routine People & Culture Tasks and ensure that these are being addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the People and Culture Manager on annual leave planning and ensuring an approved leave plan at the beginning of every year.
- Responsible for leave tracking throughout the leave year and updating the tracker
- Ensure the leave uptake is in line with the Leave plan through consistent reminders to team members when leave is due
- Share leave balances with the People and Culture Manager on a quarterly basis
WORK PERMIT AND VISA PROCESSING
- Responsible for developing and updating a work permit tracker for all expatriates throughout their contract period.
- Initiate the collaboration and engagement with the relevant expatriate regarding their work permit and visa status.
- Focal point for the external work partners including but not limited to NGO bureau, Immigration and contracted MC consultant.
- Responsible for timely submission of accurate documentation in line with immigration regulations.
- Raise all necessary payments for approval and submit for payment to Finance.
- Initiates the tender process for recruitment of the immigration consultant.
PAYROLL AND BENEFITS
- Receive valid monthly timesheets and submit to Finance within agreed timelines
- Support the People & Culture Manager with compiling payroll information and submit it on time ahead of the monthly payroll.
PEOPLE & CULTURE DATABASE
- Responsible for the development and updating of trackers including but not limited to performance management tracker, People & Culture data tracker etc.
- Providing support for entries in HCM
- Managing the People & Culture data and providing information for the People & Culture reports.
RECRUITMENT AND ONBOARDING
- Support the People & Culture Manager with the recruitment processes as the need may arise.
- Responsible for checking in with new hires on general wellbeing.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Ensure a monthly updated Training and development database
- Working closely with various departments increasing awareness, understanding and support implementation of policies and procedures
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Support the probationary and annual performance evaluation process by providing timely reminders and follow up with supervisors with adequate notice (2 months) prior to the evaluation date.
- Support visits to the administration teams in the field offices upon requests
- Work as a team member supporting the effective functioning of the Team
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Graduate Trainees/Interns
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: People and Culture Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: People & Culture Team, Field Administration Officers, Programs, Operations, and Finance Teams
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3-6 years plus experience in this similar HR support role.
- Bachelor’s degrees in Human Resource, Business Administration or any related discipline in people function.
- A post graduate qualification in Human resources, Organizational Psychology or any related discipline would be an added advantage
- A high degree of organizational skills using computer-based tools/software with demonstrated attention to details.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to communicate frequently and effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Proven ability to conduct him/ herself professionally under pressure.
- Previous experience as a full/part time staff with Mercy Corps and demonstrated knowledge of Mercy Corps systems, procedures and program priorities is an advantage.
- Able to communicate effectively with all teams
- Responsive to all staff
- A good team player with a sense of humor
- Attention to detail
- Innovative and results oriented
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Disclaimer: This job description is NOT an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Interested applicants must submit their Cover Letter & CV saved in 1 document as PDF of no more than 5 pages by 15th October 2022.
Please note that any application submitted that does not follow the above instructions will be automatically discarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Locals with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.