Job Title: Logistics Coordinator (National Position)
Duty Station: Arua – West Nile
Reporting to: Deputy Programme Manager West Nile
ZOA is looking for a Logistics Coordinator to support our logistics and procurement functions in West Nile.
Purpose of the position
The Logistics Coordinator West Nile (based in Arua) is focal point for logistics related functions in the ZOA Uganda West Nile region, carrying out procurement, and supporting ZOA West Nile programme offices in all logistics functions.
Logistics functions include procurement (according to the ZOA Procurement Guidelines), storage and warehousing of goods, transport and fleet management (vehicles and motorbikes), driver support, shipment and receipt of goods, IT support, asset management, and supporting health & safety and security at ZOA offices and bases.
Regular field travel to the West Nile project locations and other ZOA locations is required.
Place in organisation
The Logistics Coordinator West Nile is employed full time by ZOA Uganda and is line managed by/reports to the Deputy Programme Manager West Nile.
The Logistics Coordinator West Nile supervises the Logistics Assistant, guards, office attendants and drivers.
The Logistics Coordinator West Nile has a coordination and communication line to the Logistics Coordinator Kampala, including mutual support and advice, coordination on larger procurements, supplier database and travel coordination between Kampala and West Nile.
Responsibilities and activities
- Keep track of overall procurement planning in coordination with administrative and programme staff in line with approved workplans and budgets
- Execution and coordination of procurement of goods and services through West Nile offices ensuring completeness of documentation and correct approvals obtained
- Clear understanding and adherence at all times to ZOA Procurement Guidelines
- Supporting procurement quality in ZOA programme locations including carrying out quality checks on processes and procedures (remotely and in person) and delivering training on ZOA procurement procedures to other ZOA staff (online and in person), in coordination with Deputy Programme Manager.
- Keep accurate and transparent records of all logistic or procurement transactions
- Undertake regular market surveys
- In coordination with the Logistics Coordinator Kampala, update and regularly maintain a database of local suppliers that meet the pre-qualification standards
- Ensure that goods received are of the quality and quantity specified in the Purchase Order/contract and sign off goods received notes to validate this.
Logistics and Fleet Management
- Coordination of field transport (air and road) ensuring that travel requests are received in a timely manner to allow for good planning. Maintain good contact with Logistics Coordinator Kampala on Kampala-West Nile travel planning
- Ensure vehicle maintenance is carried out according to schedule/required maintenance and repairs
- Ensure monthly reporting on mileage, fuel consumption as well as repair and maintenance costs. Any significant variables should be flagged and reported to the Deputy Programme Manager West Nile.
- Ensure that all vehicles and motorcycles are safe and road-worthy and have proper on-board documentation and safety equipment
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station(s) for Arua, Yumbe & Rhino Camp
- Ensure drivers and riders are trained and where possible receive refresher defensive driving training
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies etc
- Ensures that security incidents reports, accidents reports are completed and filled including all vehicle and motorcycle incidents
- Overseeing of vehicle rentals including tracking of leases and payments.
- Maintaining oversight of all ZOA Uganda West Nile internet subscriptions and ISPs, including tracking usage and setting limits as needed (in discussion with the Director of Operations (DoO))
- Focal point for ZOA Uganda West Nile for IT support
- Ensuring IT assets are maintained and kept in good working condition at all times
- Carrying out IT training (at least at introductory level) for ZOA West Nile staff, including set up on One Drive, use of ZOA Manager, access to ZOA Quality Library and use of Office 365
- Other IT support activities as requested by Deputy Programme Manager West Nile or Kampala team, and possibly in liaison with consultants and other external providers.
Stores and Asset Management
- Ensure stores are organized and all inflows and outflows from ZOA stores properly recorded, and commodities accounted for at all times including all assets and IT equipment.
- Ensure daily update of stock records and submit monthly reports on stock usage.
- Responsible for the functioning and safeguarding of all communication equipment.
- Responsible for the safeguarding of all ZOA assets and maintaining and updating assets register and submit quarterly assets list to DoO, including asset owner, condition of assets, chargeable project and any repairs or maintenance needs ensuring all assets are tagged accordingly
- Proactively coordinate with the Logistics Coordinator Kampala to ensure that assets for disposal are identified and flagged for disposal
- Ensure all the items bought that fall under asset category according to ZOA Policies are properly registered on the asset register with all the required information
- Liaise with all staff on assets management, movement and monitor if the register is properly maintained and matches with the register
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual and annual performance reviews.
- Provide performance feedback in line with ZOA HR practices and ensure timely submission of performance evaluations and appraisals.
- Support the team by building capacity where required.
- Manage drivers’ leave schedules ensuring smooth operation of the fleet.
Office Health & Safety and Security
- Coordinate maintenance of West-Nile offices, guesthouse, and other assets, ensuring safety equipment is in place and well maintained
- Responsible that office accommodations are according to health & safety and security standards, in coordination with Deputy Programme Manager.
- Committed to fraud detection, risk reduction and fraud reporting, ensure compliance with ZOA policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws
- Ensure existing practices, policies and procedures are in compliance with ZOA standards ensuring regular training of staff to ensure compliance.
- Ensure that vendor due diligence actions are carried out (and documented) as per required procedures including vendor registration, vendor performance management, market surveys conducted regularly. Conduct physical verification as required.
- Work with Deputy Programme Manager West Nile to conduct spot checks of the procurement process, asset and stores management to ensure that risks associated are highlighted and plans developed to tackle those. Conducts spot check and control evidence verifications as required.
Characteristics of role
The Logistics Coordinator will be based in Arua. Regular field travel to the projects and other locations is required. The post holder may be required to drive ZOA vehicles at times.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g., for travel at weekends.
The role is offered in scale 4 in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale 2022.
Competencies – knowledge and experience
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, or related
- Minimum 3 years of experience working as a Logistics Coordinator or Procurement Officer in the NGO/humanitarian context.
- Proven skills in logistics and procurement.
- Sound understanding of procurement best practices with ability to proactively manage risks associated with procurements.
- Know-how of vehicle and office maintenance.
- Familiarity with IT and communication equipment.
- Good command of English as well as excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Valid Uganda driving licence.
- Desirable: experience in training and support to colleagues on logistics related functions.
Competencies – behaviour
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/mission-vision)
- Reliable person
- Interpersonal skills – able to communicate clearly and build rapport with colleagues
- Technical skills, e.g., IT, vehicle maintenance, building maintenance, asset management (at least one of these areas)
- Organized and self-managing, with good planning skills
- Able to follow organizational policies and procedures, with a logical and consistent application of principles and concepts
- Ability to work individually as well as in a team.
- Proactive and focused.
- High level of integrity, understanding of issues relating to fraud and conflict of interest.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via:
CV’s of no more than 2 pages in length and a Cover Letter of 1 page are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 3 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered.