The Driver will be based in the UNFPA decentralized office in Yumbe office, and will be directly supervised by Programme Analyst SRH, Yumbe. The Driver maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff at the CO and field offices. External contacts include partners in the Country Programme activities.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Under the overall supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the Programme Analyst-SRH substantively contributes to the effective delivery of an integrated package of rights (SRHR/GBV/HIV) in Yumbe. The Driver will provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel.
You would be responsible for:
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel of UNFPA following approved routing/areas; and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Ensures that the assigned vehicle to be kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Maintains accurate vehicle logbooks, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Performs basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to the office.
- Follow established rules and regulations during an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- As appropriate, undertake any other related duties as required
- Stand-in for other team members on selected functions as may be required.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
- The following will be the corresponding expected outcomes:
- Staff and visitors are taken for official activities on time.
- Ensure the vehicles are well maintained.
- Support staff in arranging for other events like meetings, workshops and missions
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed secondary school education.
- Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least two years driving experience with reputable organizations with a demonstrated safe driving record
- Previous experience in defensive driving is desirable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment and ability to interpret safety rules/ maintenance rules.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
Fluency in oral and written English is required
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves, our relationships, and others
- Communicating for impact
- Business Acumen
- Implementing management systems
- Client orientation
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.