USAID’s Integrated Community Agriculture and Nutrition Activity (ICAN) is USAID/Uganda’s flagship resilience project. The Activity’s goal is to enhance the resilience of vulnerable households in the eight districts of Kanungu, Kisoro, Rukungiri (Kigezi sub-region); Gulu, Lamwo, Nwoya (Acholi sub-region); Kaabong and Kotido (Karamoja sub-region) in Karamoja region.
The overall objective of the project is to sustainably enhance the resilience of vulnerable households in its area of operation by maximizing economic opportunities for vulnerable households, stabilizing their access to and consumption of diverse and nutritious diets and increase social capital by reinforcing relationships among formal governance systems and communities.
The Driver will be responsible for the transportation of project staff, equipment, and material required in the implementation of project activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Drive project, and project affiliated personnel to project sites within Karamoja, and throughout the project implementation area for project activities, including official site visits.
- Transport project equipment, materials, supplies, and documents to project sites
- Maintain up-to-date record-keeping systems for vehicle issues including fuel, mileage, and trip logs.
- Ensure that the vehicle usage log is updated on a daily basis and submitted on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly fuel consumption report is submitted as required
- Ensure regular maintenance of the vehicle, and that fluid (water, oil, fuel, washer liquid, etc.) levels are at the required levels
- Report any apparent malfunction to the supervisor
- Report any damage or accident to the supervisor immediately
- Ensure that the vehicle is safely parked and locked when not in use
- Maintain project vehicle, including keeping accurate records, and following a schedule of routine maintenance, repairs, and cleaning.
- Ensure the readiness of the vehicle for transport service by checking oil, water, fuel, and tires, maps, and conducting safety and security inspections prior to driving.
- Perform project routine business around the province, such as receiving and delivering official project documentation to and from the regional office, general office purchasing, and photocopying.
- Support project workshop activities
- Support purchase of basic cleaning and kitchen supplies and assist in the purchase of other project-authorized items.
- Perform relevant general service activities such as a collection of proforma, processing customs duty clearances, and tax exemptions, as directed.
- Make arrangements for repairs, maintenance, and improvements to the office, as requested by the project management.
- Regularly check post office boxes, collect and dispatch letters, parcels, and other correspondence, and perform other local errands.
- Other duties as assigned by Abt Associates Inc.
- Secondary schooling desirable
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
- Knowledge of car mechanics and repair
- At least one year of experience in driving a vehicle; preferably for a USAID or other donor project
- Working knowledge of written and oral English
- Basic computer knowledge
- Willingness to drive on missions throughout the country
High School Diploma
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.