Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Legal Assistant for our program in Uganda to be based at Oruchinga Office. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Reporting to the Legal Officer, the Legal Assistant will be responsible for supporting the smooth running of the daily activities of Legal sector at Oruchinga Refugee settlement in Isingiro District, including client management and follow up, facilitation of alternative dispute resolution and to contribute to legal awareness raising activities and legal trainings.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Implementation and planning:
- Receive & register clients.
- Undertake initial interviews & summarize essential facts for sharing with the supervisor.
- Locate relevant witnesses for cases and provide support in interviewing clients and witnesses and prepare relevant reports.
- Accompany clients to record statements at police.
- Provide support in basic Legal & Psychosocial counseling for clients.
- Keep clients updated by communicating case progress.
- Actively participate in community legal education and raising awareness.
- Conduct prison visits & document findings of visits for action.
- Work with the police & settlement authorities in developing legal information & education topics.
- Mobilise & facilitating legal trainings.
- Work with local refugee leaders to mobilize communities for awareness sessions.
- Work with local refugee leaders to display legal information materials in the community.
- Work closely and monitor the Paralegal community based workers in identification and follow up of cases at the community level.
- Establish contacts and empower community based structures through regular meetings so as to effect community based protection approach.
Information Management Support and Reporting:
- Keep cases organized by organizing and establishing files; documenting actions, monitoring calendars; inputting information into case management software and file database
- Ensure prompt filing & compilation of files due in court
- Plan and prepare for court cases.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and submit them to the supervisor.
- Contribute to project planning, development of proposals and lessons learned processes.
- Prepare and submit weekly action plan to the supervisor.
- A minimum of a Diploma in Law and a Certificate in Uganda Paralegal Advisory Services (PAS) training.
- At least 2 years working experience in a similar field will be an added advantage.
- Previous exposure and experience in representing clients before any Quasi-Judicial and other governing bodies.
- Previous experience in engaging with key partners on legal-related issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience of riding a motorcycle and a valid riding permit is a MUST.