Report line: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for: Ground operations staff, suppliers
Roles and Responsibilities
- Driving the overall strategy for AOC operations in terms of safety, ground operations, staff welfare, overall efficiency, and costs. The scope cover check-in, special passenger, baggage, gate management, flight irregularities, baggage irregularities, ramp handling, and GSE.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring Ground Operations are conducted in accordance with applicable regulations and standards of Uganda Airlines.
- Ensure all regulatory requirements established by Uganda of Civil Aviation (UCCA) are compiled with and ensure recommendations by UCAA are efficiently and effectively carried out.
- Ensure that all key internal stakeholders from the CEO, level down are kept fully informed and are suitably represented as required on all issues concerning ground operations. Lead and manage the airline’s Ground
- Operations at the nominated base(s) and to deliver targeted performance outcomes in all areas of safety, cost control, and operational performance.
- Ensure that Ground Operations comply with Acts and Regulations and safety standards at all times.
- Manage cost in line with budget and deliver ever lower cost operational solutions and arrangements with the growth of the airline, achieving volume-based discounts.
- Identify all new opportunities for operational improvement and/or cost savings in the nominated area of responsibility.
- Ensure scalable growth for the nominated base(s) in all areas including, but not limited to, the start-up of new operational locations, the increasing of base sizes, alternate and diversion arrangements, and close management of any disruption.
- Support the Ground Operations team in activities, as required.
- Ensure Ground Operations and third-party ground handler staff comply with Cash Handling for Ground Operations SOP and Cashiering – Ancillary Income SOP from the Finance Department.
- Has authority to make decisions up to Medium Risk Level to the safety and/or security of aircraft operations and shall consult the COO/CEO for any High-Risk events according to Uganda Airlines SMS Manual.
- Ensure the existence of the necessary facilities, workspace, equipment, and supporting services, as well as a work environment, to satisfy ground handling operational safety requirements.
- Monitor Ground Operations including all airports and collaborate with all relevant authorities to ensure smooth passenger handling flow.
- Monitor Cargo operations in the warehouse and aircraft operations.
- Maintain smooth operations in case of flight disruptions with proper communication and SOPs followed for Flight disruptions.
- Ensure operations procedures and standards are developed in conformity to IOSA, IATA Ground Operations Manual (IGOM), and Legal requirements.
- Ensure all UR and Ground Handling Agent (GHA) personnel are properly trained up to the required standards.
- Manage liaison with external parties i.e. Civil Aviation Department of the Countries Uganda Airlines operates, The Uganda Civil Aviation Authority (UCAA), International Air Transport Association (IATA), etc. on operational requirements.
- Ensure company procedures that proper passenger and baggage
reconciliation is followed.
- Ensure all Load sheets provided for UR (and or third-party Airlines) are in compliance with legal requirements, in conformance with Company requirements, and are consistently accurate and safe. Ensure all Load sheet Officers, Loading Supervisors, and Ramp Coordinators handling UR (third party Airlines) are appropriately trained and certified in accordance with legal and Company requirements. Ensure contingency plans, to maintain the operation at an agreed level, are in place for Load sheet production.
- Develop, issue, control, and maintain Load sheet and Loading policies, procedures, and processes, including relevant sections of the aircraft handling manuals that interface with the Load sheet and Loading process.
- Implement appropriate risk controls or mitigations to maintain an acceptable level of safety and continuously improve the overall safety level of aircraft operations.
- Handle contingency situations including E&A and major operation disruptions.
- Represent Uganda Airlines and participate in corporate contingency planning forums.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in management, statistics, Business Administration, or relevant professional qualifications.
- Minimum 8 years, Ground Operations experience in an airline or handling company from an international or regional perspective is a must.
- Detailed knowledge of Ground Handling requirements, including Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Knowledge of IATA ground handling procedures.
- Knowledge of IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations (ISAGO) is an advantage.
- Knowledge in Safety Management Systems, Load control, and related qualifications.
- Previous experience at senior management level.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven knowledge of ground operations regulations relevant to the AOC
- Ability to manage work in shifts, under pressure, with a high degree of personal/professional flexibility.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Proven influencing and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to technological changes in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proven experience in the aviation industry – particularly in operations of Airside Safety.