Job title: Research Assistants (40)
Report to: Field supervisor who then reports to the Study Coordinator
Main role: Working together with Researchers, Field Supervisors, Study Coordinator, and Investigators to collect data and ensure successful implementation of the study.
Key Specific Responsibilities
- Attend all interviewer training and pretesting sessions.
- Screen the selected participants and obtain written informed consent
- Perform field data collection and management activities including transcribing the interview audios.
- Ensure safe custody of both manual and digital data collected and follow all quality checks provided
- Provide the study team with daily updates on data collection and participate in the development of daily field reports
- Pre-test data collection guides, forms and devices for data collection
- Ensuring consistency of participant identification numbers (PIDs) for all data and labels
- Perform any other duties relevant to this position as may be assigned from time to time through the field supervisor
- Adhere to COVID19 infection prevention and control measures as articulated in the study’s COVID19 risk mitigation plan and as guided by Ministry of Health.
- Ability to fluently speak and read any of the local languages: Luganda, Runyakole-rukiiga, Runyoro, Lumasaba, Lusoga, Alur, Acholi and Pokot.
Minimum qualifications and experience
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree or diploma, from a recognized higher institution of learning.
- Worked in at least one research health study/project as a research assistant within the past 3 years.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience with qualitative data collection techniques such as individual interviews and focus group discussions.
- Experience collecting qualitative data among key populations and adolescents
- Experience transcribing qualitative interviews; from local languages to English
- Possession of a Certificate in Good Clinical Practice or/and Human Subjects Protection is an added advantage.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Willingness to work in fast-paced and occasionally demanding environment
- Ability to fluently speak any of the above listed local languages
Duration: This appointment is valid for the period of data collection and shall be automatically terminated
Note: Recruitment of Research Assistants will be based on the above-mentioned study districts. Candidates should indicate their district of interest and language as they apply for this position. Applicants should also clearly state their experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection.
How to apply: Interested persons should send their application and updated curriculum vitae (CV) to the link below stating two referees and their contacts not later than 26th September 2022, 5.00 pm. Applications should be addressed to: The Dean, Makerere University School of Public Health
Research Assistant application link: https://forms.gle/xRnCuzGWLA1VdnKd8
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted