Hello Hello! Alight on behalf of ORAM is recruiting a Field Research and Needs Assessment Consultant.
Contractor will be based in Kampala, Uganda with travel to other sites as necessary, and will provide consulting services over the period of six months from October 1st 2022 through March 31st 2023.
Purpose and Objectives
- To identify the understanding of inclusive programming and the level of accessibility of program services to marginalized and vulnerable groups for more inclusive programing in target refugee settlements– Nakivale, Oruchinga, Kyangwali, Kyaka II, Rwamwanja settlements.
- To identify needs and barriers accessing services for marginalized and vulnerable refugees and host communities – Nakivale, Oruchinga, Kyangwali, Kyaka II, Rwamwanja settlements.
- To provide recommendations for more inclusive programming in target refugee settlements– Nakivale, Oruchinga, Kyangwali, Kyaka II, Rwamwanja settlements for ALIGHT and other service providers/ actors; as well as recommendations for a subsequent training with service providers.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inception report for the planned research, including a dissemination plan for the report
- Liaison with UNHCR and OPM on the planned research to obtain input and buy in on the research design; as well as any necessary permission required from OPM for the research
- Conduct a do no harm approach and risk assessment for the research; as well as signposting for support/ services in case this is needed for research participants following the research
- Identify extremely vulnerable and marginalized asylum seekers and refugees to participate in the research
- Draft data collection tools and finalise these based on input from ALIGHT, UNHCR and OPM
- Conduct Key Informant Interviews with service providers and actors in the target settlements
- Map the marginalized community by geography and size and other pertinent characteristics;
- Hire data collectors to aid in the data collection
- Conduct the data collection with extremely vulnerable and marginalized asylum seekers and refugees assessing their needs and the barriers to accessing services and their needs being met by service providers;
- Draft report on findings and recommendations for inclusive programming and good practices that can be scaled up by key stakeholders;
- Share the report with respective stakeholders to receive feedback on findings and recommendations in report;
- Liaising and working closely with UNHCR hold stakeholder roundtable in settlements to discuss the report;
- Finalise the report including feedback from ALIGHT, UNHCR, OPM and other stakeholders
- Work closely with the ALIGHT Uganda office, ORAM’s parent organization and partner on the ground on coordination and support.
Deliverables and Timelines
- Inception report with detailed study design, methodology and workplan.
Deadline: 15th of October 2022
- Desk Review Report and field research plan based on desk review.
Deadline: 30th of October 2022
- Development of needs assessment tools.
Deadline: 15th of November 2022
- Conduct the needs assessment in identified locations.
Deadline: 13th January 2023
- Submission of first draft report.
Deadline: 1st of February 2023
- Presentation of findings at validation workshop.
Deadline: 15th of February 2023
- Submission of Final report. The final report should be no more than 40 pages (excluding annexes) and accompanied by a power point presentation summarizing the findings.
Deadline: March 30th 2023
- Relevant research qualification
- Experience in conducting field research, ideally in refugee settings, with demonstrated evidence with 2 examples of relevant work
- Proven ability to conduct inclusive and sensitive needs assessments;
- Proven high level of written English;
- Proven experience in report writing;
- Knowledge on the humanitarian setting, asylum and migration in Uganda;
- A good understanding of the humanitarian principles and operations of the UNHCR in Uganda, as well as other key stakeholders in the field;
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing the most vulnerable and socially marginalized asylum seekers and refugees;
- Proven ability to work with diverse communities;
- Dedication to inclusion of marginalized communities;
- High level of professionalism;
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to work remotely;
- Ability to connect with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Discipline, strong organizational skills and attention to detail required;
- Knowledge of French and / or Swahili a plus.
- Experience in data analysis, presentation methods and data analysis.
ORAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.