• Reporting to the Project Director, the Grants Manager will be required to lead the management of the JRS Uganda BPRM grant for 2022 to 2025 with the primary objective of coordinating the development of a grants budget proposal and managing the full implementation of the proposal through monitoring and oversight of all activities related to the grant. However, the Grants Manager will not only be limited to the BPRM grant (2022-2025) but also oversees the implementation of other JRS Uganda grants as well.
Grants Financial Management and Reporting
• Provide leadership to ensure that all grants’ reports are discussed with the project team and passed to the donor and support office within the required time schedules.
• Manage the Grants Tracking Sheet, BVAs and provide timely financial analysis across the portfolio of the grants to Operations Team to ensure the effective and solid implementation of the project.
• Ensure spending is within the budget limit to control under/overspending within the project and ensure correct allocation of expenses across grants and budget lines. Risk Management and Compliance
• Ensure that donor regulations are complied with in every grants transactions and processes: keep the Country Finance Office Team informed on all major compliance issues/challenges while taking the necessary corrective steps.
• Observe and monitor all internal control issues around the grant.
• Using a risk-based approach, evaluate internal controls and business processes and advise relevant JRS management on best course of action to improve efficiency, mitigate risks and comply with internal policies, laws, and regulations.
• Based on data from relevant grants and compliance reports, identify training needs related to grants and compliance, internal controls, and develop and/or deliver training on internal controls, compliance, ethics, and anti-fraud measures.
People Management and Development
• Implement a capacity development plan and create an environment of experience sharing and promote best practices.
• Carry out grants kick off meeting with all staff ensuring compliance issues and deadlines are communicated.
• Train and provide mentoring to all grants implementing staff on matters related to grants Monitoring and Management.
• Develop a communication plan ensuring key information is shared with staff in a timely manner. The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Qualifications and Experience:
• A university degree in accounting or equivalent or a full Professional.
• Accounting qualification; ACCA, ICMA, CPA, CA, CIA, CFE or its equivalent.
• Knowledge of major donor regulations such as US Government, EU, and UN funding streams is a must.
• Three (3) years of experience at a senior-level
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 required.
• Practical knowledge of financial systems, internal financial controls & procedures, and staff management skills.
• Donor/Grant accounting experience within Consortiums and/or complex grants is preferred.
• Significant experience in using Financial Management Information Systems (Serenic-Microsoft Dynamics, accounting package is an added advantage).
• Broad working knowledge of Budgeting and budgetary control, Financial analysis, Donor financial accounting procedures, Operations of sub grant partners/community-based organizations, Accounting Procedures and Standards and Computerized Accounting Systems and Spreadsheet
• Excellent Report writing skills.
• Good problem-solver, analytical, creative, and innovative.
• Working knowledge of donor financial accounting procedures, GAAP, IAS/AFRS accounting requirements and budgeting, Tax laws and systems in Uganda.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to interpret financial procedures and standards, put them in practice and influence others in their implementation.
• Strong analytical and planning skills.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field, Country office, Central Government and Local Authorities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
Required Skills and Competencies
• Very good pastoral sense, listening abilities and inter-personal skills.
• Good understanding of and commitment to humanitarian relief work and international development.
• High degree of discretion, tact and confidentiality in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels.
• Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches in Human Resources.
• A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability.
• An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary.
• Demonstrate ability to work and deliver under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Good computer skills, including competence in Excel and familiarity with other databases.
• Good organizational skills and ability to perform multifaceted tasks in addition to day-to-day activities.
• Good analytical skills and sound judgement.
• Successful experience in multicultural and challenging environments.
• Willingness to work and travel to refugee settings in challenging environments. Required Core values
• Good understanding of and compatibility with the values of JRS.
• Neutrality, confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with HR matters.
• Acceptance of diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
• Written application explaining why you are interested in the above position and how you meet the qualities and qualification criteria.
• Attach a CV with maximum 2 pages. The CV should contain information about your qualifications, relevant trainings, work experience, names and contact details of two (2) relevant referees.
• Applications should be sent online to Jesuit Refugee Service Uganda at email@example.com
Note: JRS has a Child Safeguarding (CS) Policy in place and expects all staff to read, sign and adhere to it.
No late applications will be considered – Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted